Photography Perfection

(Normally I'd do a trade recap on Friday's, but all I got this week was 1 card that wasn't even from a trade. Instead I decided to please myself with pretty looking cards.)


You can't have a great baseball card without a good image. It adds life to a card that may not be there if the image is a player taking a boring 'ol swing and missing. If you get cards like the Killebrew image above, you have a reason to ponder your cards for hours. Some cards can end up being most popular just because of the image that was used. If a card doesn't have an photo, your left with something as depressing as the APBA sets.

Because I need something interesting, (and fun if I do say so myself,) to do, I am going to relay to you 10 random images on cards that I enjoy looking at. I own the cards pictured, so selection may be limited. These are in no particular order. Enjoy.

1958 Topps R.C. Steven's

Back then, cards weren't all about the photos. Nonetheless this is actually a nice shot of the player. Fits beautifully with the set design. I think despite time going on, people will forever love these vintage sets.

1972 Topps Billy Cowan

I'm sure most here have seen this card by now. Truly one of the most iconic images in the entire set. Whether done on purpose or not, this card is just awesome to look at.

1987 Donruss Kirby Puckett

This card sums up what Puckett was about: Smiling and playing baseball while having a good time. I love, love, love, this card and it honestly may be the best image I've come across for a Twins card.

1991 Conlon Collection TSN Ira Flagstead

This set right here is the epitome of early baseball photos. 4 sets were made and I think that the photos are the reason I love these sets so much. After I finish my 1972 set, this very well could become my newest focus.

1991 Topps Roger Clemens

You can't talk good and iconic photos for cards without the 1991 Topps Clemens. This card is arguably the best most known image on a card. For it being a horizontal card is even better, as the image works perfectly.

1998 Topps Jeff Montgomery

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a card like this every once and awhile. I get why they did this, (to be honest, it took me a bit,) but in the end, I think the tank top was unnecessary. Right next to his hand the tone looks wrong.

2001 Upper Deck Gold Glove - Game Jersey Jim Kaat

When doing a jersey card I think an image is vital. UD accomplished what they needed to here. A great photo, a great sized patch, and a great player on top of it. What's not to love?

2013 Topps David DeJesus

I knew when writing this I needed a Wrigley Field ivy shot and this is just that. Wrigley wouldn't be what it is without their beloved ivy. It also adds nice contrast to the card. Also, because I can, here's the Andre Dawson commercial.

2018 Stadium Club Hank Aaron

When it comes to modern sets, Stadium Club is at the top for photography. Unfortunately though they have turned to repeating images recently, and I do not like that. This card is one of the best images in recent years.
2023 Topps Jon Gray

This is the average 2023 set photo. A pitcher or a batter mid windup or mid swing. For the cards I've gotten myself, that's mostly what I've seen. In the end, the face in the corner makes up for it.

Those are 10 random but pretty cards. If people enjoy this, maybe I'll continue and highlight more beauties in the future. Please let me know. Thanks for reading.

Comments

  1. Great stuff. Photography is such a key component when it comes to some of my favorite cards. 1991 Topps has a lot of cool images. Another set from that era with great photography is the 1993 Upper Deck set. Plus... Stadium Club from all eras seems to have at least a handful of unique photographs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts