2023 Topps Series 1 Hanger Review


 Just as expected, I caved and bought a 2023 Topps Hanger. I knew it was going to happen even though in the end I really didn't want to. I had already purchased the Mets and Twins from Amazon so this box was more meant for the other teams. $13 for 67 cards isn't a bad deal, and that probably had some play into this impulse purchase. I will say one thing before I begin the review, and it's that this box is beautiful. Fanatics did a great job and they even had some decent advertising. Hopefully they continue their upward trend. Now the review. Here is the ratio of the box's contents:

6 Inserts/2 Parallels/60 Base cards.

Oof. Not the best ratio I've seen from a box but this was more for getting my first taste of the new set and design, and less for the big hit that has a 1:39,512 chance of happening.

Inserts

Some good names here. As nice as the set looks, I'm not sure Riley Greene or even Witt Jr. has established themselves as a, "Star of MLB," but nonetheless here they are in the set. At first I thought the Guerrero was some type of red foil but it turns out to be the base set. And as previously mentioned by night owl in a post of his, they finally put 1987 away for a year at least and brought a much better and needed set in.

Parralels

Yeah that was it. A rainbow foil and a royal blue. At least the team card shows more team members than a lot of previous sets. I've seen Singer a couple times when he matches up against the Twins, and he has some promise, but not a household name. Overall both these cards are rather bland. Even if I got just 1 gold /2023 that would've been more exciting than these 2.

Base

This is just a sample of the 60 base cards I got. The design might even top last year's, (which I loved.) Having the face in the corner does a lot for me, and the font is readable compared to 2021. Only 1 Twin was in the box, along with 3 Mets. The Ohtani was the first visible card in the pack and, "pulling," the Rodriguez was also kind of cool.

I'd rate this box experience a 7 out of 10. As good as it was, it wasn't the perfect 10 we all hope for.


But don't worry, I got my vintage. Thanks for reading.

Comments

  1. I'm gonna have to get that Kershaw for the Through The Years project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts